Tuesday, October 7, 2008

If I Were Obama's Speechwriter, This Is What He’d Say




Obama
Location:High School Assembly

Thank you very much, La Costa Canyon High students, parents and teachers, for allowing me to visit your school and express my views regarding politics. Today I stand here as the Democratic nominee. I also stand here as a father, a son, a hard worker, and a senator. But mostly, I stand for change. I believe this nation needs a new leader, one who can restore our common purpose, one who can unite our nation, and one who can truly and passionately care about this countries’ people. This country needs a president who supports people’s jobs, eases people’s lives and allows people to accomplish their dreams. I firmly believe that John McCain does not fully devote himself to these issues.


Today, I want to talk about John McCain’s recent involvement in the closing of the Corning plant in Pennsylvania because I believe it accurately portrays his character, convictions and decisions. When the Corning manufacturing plant in Pennsylvania closed and hundreds lost their jobs, workers were rehired to disassemble the plant and ship the equipment to China. He supported the tax breaks for companies that shipped jobs overseas and voted against cracking down on China for unfair trading. I believe America deserves better. During the DNC, I stated, “Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it, but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it. Unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America.” We as a nation cannot depend heavily on foreign countries for jobs. We must secure our own economy by harnessing individual strength. In order to do that, the leaders of this country must set a good example. As President, I will cut 95 percent of taxes on the working class families, so people will be able to gain more and flourish.


Tonight, I say to you, Democrats and Republicans and Independents alike standing here before me - enough! This moment - this election - is our chance to keep the American promise alive. We are in the twenty-first century…we can’t afford more of the same. I have said before, but I will state again, “The greatest risk we can take is to try the same old politics with the same old players and expect a different result.” I say “no.” “No” to the old. “No” to the plans John McCain has in mind because America…we cannot turn back. We can only unite and pledge ourselves to the future. Thank you, and God bless America.

No comments: